Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Gandolfo's NY Deli


Its hot, very hot to be walking around in my work casuals, but its August in Dallas and I should be used to this madness. Im riding the freight elevator in search of the first Chase-ing Foods adventure. In my trek across Woodall Rodgers bound for Flora ave I have begun to master the Provencal style of walking, never leave the shade, even if it means walking down the middle of the street.

When I walk up no one else is in line, its only 11:50, the lunch rush is just around the corner. I take my time searching through the two stand very expansive menu, not something I'm very good at. Once I spot the Big Apple, I'm in, roast beef, capacola ( either a hit or miss among deli patrons) banana peppers, and feta along with the other basics (lettuce tomato onions mayo and evo). The mix of the olive oil and the mayo serve as a binder and runny goodness that is consistent throughout, but doesnt over power the meat pairing.

The roast beef is super tender and almost non existent as thinly sliced as it is, piles high with the robust fatty smokey capacola, both essential and classic to the model sub sandwich. The addition of the feta cheese and the bite of the peppers makes this more than your average sub. Adding both silkyness and bite that compliments the fatty tender meat perfectly.

I went with the half "Big Apple", perfect size for someone on a short lunch break that has to scarf something down in their cube or enjoy in their plush corner office. At under $7 the half sandwich is the way to go for those concerned with the rent and looking to have a gourmet sandwich.

To follow Gandolfo's around DFW follow them @gandolfosdallas on Twitter. Hey thats how I found them.

If you dont know me, pinch your nose and read alound for better effect.

Roll With The Pachyderms

No comments:

Post a Comment